In the Mediterranean (and the Seychelles), the governments there require you to have a Sailing License. The License must be a license not a certification.

Examples of the License that are accepted are:

  • The ICC (international Certificate of Competence) 
  • The SLC (record of Sailing License and Credentials) 


To gain the ICC, you need to have it issued by the RYA out of the UK. This can be facilitated by NauticEd in North America through its alliance with the RYA. The RYA schools in North America that perform the on-the-water assessment are here:


The SLC is much simpler to gain in North America with many more schools able to perform the 1 day assessment. Look for the SLC tag listed on a school at the NauticEd Sailing Schools page.

This is the Link to the page discussing the SLC

This is how to gain an SLC


Finally this is a article discussing the differences in the SLC and the ICC

Yacht Charter Companies

All Yacht charter Companies accept the SLC and the ICC as valid licenses